Leisure for Labor-Hunnicut, Benjamin

After reading this article, I personally did not agree with the union accepting the “productivity theory of wages and hours” and not the businessmen and economists idea that work was a primary element of human welfare. Of course the high wages and less working hours will increase anyone leisure time. But without more time putting into working, where will people find the extra cash to spend on their leisure time since in this century many of us spend our leisure at the Movie Theater, restaurant, gym, or at some social events. All this definitely required spending. And without putting in more hours to work and actually earn that wages, then I don’t think leisure would be possible. I mean yes it is possible when you collecting unemployment, and having the opportunity to stay home and do nothing, but how productive is that? As mention in the article many people stated that for them to have unemployment, they can use that time to contribute to non-profit organization, go to church, take care of responsibilities at home and so on, But does this really happen in our today society? I don’t think so. I do believe that way back this should have been considered by the union, in order to live a luscious life and also to have that leisure time.

1. #1 by Marian on April 19, 2013 - 4:38 am

You made some decent points there. I did a search
    on the subject matter and found most persons will approve
    with your blog.