Walmart NYC?

The Wall Street Journal wrote an article about Walmart retail stores making its attempt once again to build in NYC. This chain is opposed to unions and gives low wages. Unions for retail and grocery workers have found themselves at a battle to keep walmart out. In my personal opinion, I think Walmart should be allowed to build in NYC. I disagree with their low wages and that they have no union but I like the store and think that it would offer people some jobs. You are free to choose where you work so if you think their practices are unfair, don’t take a position with Walmart. There are plenty of other establishments in NYC that are not unionized so why should Walmart be outlawed. If anything, I think the low prices would attract more people to the city and increase revenue for surrounding businesses as well. Increased revenue means less cuts and maybe even extra job openings

1. #1 by ha1987 on December 18, 2010 - 1:30 am

I feel that if Walmart really wants to build in NYC they should allow their workers to take a vote and see if they would like to be unionized. Not letting Walmart build in NYC is bad because it will bring more jobs to NYC and it brings more competition, which is good for the market.

2. #2 by Vanessa on December 28, 2010 - 6:03 pm

I believe that Walmart should freely decide where to open more locations. The problem that relates to walmart is the treatment workers receive when it comes to wages and salaries. I believe this problem could be resolved if government gets involve by enforcing certain policies that relate to wages and treatment. By doing so, it could help improve the areas that come into conflict with the creation of more Walmart stores.